Thursday, February 17, 2011

Methodical Me

While in class, our professor constantly pushes the importance of being methodical when taking cases on. From the initial interview and throughout the entire litigation process.

Now, this professor I have had for several classes. I originally couldn't stand her. I first took her legal research class. She scared me to death! I would spend hours, hours on end in the library following class trying to complete the assignments. This was a night class mind you, so I wouldn't get home until about 10 or 11. She would usually, and still does, put me on the spot because I work at a firm. She would ask me questions, and I would usually give the correct response. However, one particular comment has stuck in my mind for the last year or so, even though we have kind of, sort of bonded. "Yes, Meredith, that is correct, but your approach is completely backwards."

This feedback rang true just a few weeks ago. We were discussing the initial client interview and she was explaining the importance of the funnel method. Ask open ended questions, and slowly, and methodically, fine tune them down the funnel. However, my brain works, as she said, completely backwards. That's right, instead of a funnel, I have a cone. I'd rather ask specific questions, determine whether there is a valid claim, and then elaborate more for the "narrative" of the situation.

My brain is methodical in that I can see the end result that I want, but rather I work backwards to eventually find out what my first steps should be. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it really just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment