Monday, December 20, 2010

Mere-y Christmas...Party


I have to say that every year after the party I proclaim to the world  with fists of rage, that it was so stressful that I am never doing it again. However, this year, I made no such promise. This year seemed so different. No stress, no running out of time. Everything worked out and ran as smooth as glass.

It started with Sarah N. getting into town the same time that I got off work. Although she did have one detour before getting to my house... she brought be a peppermint milkshake. Awww. After devouring my treat (remember I am addicted to mint) we headed off to the store. It only took us an hour to get everything and while we were there, we even order our dinner for the night.

Then we headed over to get our pizza where I was complimented on my hat (I like wearing hats and brooches. Yes, I know that I am old). Then we got home, unloaded the car, put away the groceries, and then nestled on the couch with pizza and beer for a little movie.

The next morning, we woke up, went and got breakfast (somebody had to have a biscuit and couldn't wait on me to make pancakes). We watched yet another movie while we finished our meal, then watched another movie while we started to cook. The time literally flew by and it didn't feel rushed at all. It was all completely calm.

When Sarah went up to get ready, I did some last minute things. Let roomba out, hung a painting that Sarah S. and I had done earlier that week, and some general straightening up. After I put roomba away, I went over to fix the lights under the Christmas tree because he had gotten caught on them a little. I reached down and immediately felt like a hot knife had gone through my finger. I screamed. "What happened?!?" I heard come from the top of the stairs. Not quiet sure myself, I looked around and saw little pieces of broken glass on the floor and one empty like socket on the string of lights. 1 + 1= ouch! The damn light had electrocuted me. So, I carefully reached down and rearranged the lights, went upstairs and per Sarah request, ran my finger under some cold water.

While I was getting ready, and having previously unlocked the door in anticipation of such, Dustin arrived. The first words out of his mouth were, "Whoa, this is sick!" He couldn't get over how large the place was. Apparently they look small on the outside. The rest of the night he was trying to talk Lindsay into moving there. Yay, new neighbors!


Anyway, while he was finishing up his cooking, Mel and Nick came, then Lindsay arrived. The party was getting started. When we had completed putting together the spread, it was hilarious. We were all just standing there starring at the table. We could not believe how gorgeous it looked. Dustin, Sarah and I were just taking pictures to remember what it looked like before we dove in.

Shortly thereafter, my baby brother and his best friend, Hudson, arrived. I have known him since he was just a little guy in elementary school with Kev. Now he is so freaking tall. A few minutes later, O'Hara showed up, another LHS survivor and good friend to Kev. She thinks that it is hilarious that I make my own laundry detergent and has stated that the next time I do it, she wants to help so that she can learn.
                                                             About an hour later, Rickey and Britt showed up. It was funny watching Rickey try to work my stove. He had never cooked with gas before, and Dustin had to show him how. I laughed pretty hard, not gonna lie. Although, I was laughing a lot that night, most particularly because Dustin decided to be festive. When I say festive, I mean that Dustin was making shot after shot of peppermint schnapps and Bailey's. No one else would take shots with him, so I obliged.

Needless to say, by the time 10:30 rolled around I was a bit tipsy, okay, I was drunk. I was trying to help clean up the food so that we all could go down town. I bent down to look in the cabinet for some tubberware for the leftovers, and Dustin bumped me. Yep, I was on the floor. So I stayed there. I sat by the fridge and loaded the items into that were handed to me. It worked out pretty well.

Then we grabbed our coats and jumped into the cars. We had a great time. There was some dancing at Firehouse, some sitting at Allgood, and I sat a lot at 8Es. Mostly because, and I am not proud to admit it, but I sat on a stool and fell right off. I remember it happening too, in slow motion. I recall thinking, "why is the floor getting closer?" (I'm still laughing at myself.)

Anyway, dear, dear Sarah was our fearless leader that night and got us home safely. No one, and I mean no one, got up before 2:00 that day. Sarah was a great mom and even tucked Dustin onto the couch with a blanket. I was proud of myself too. I made it up to my bed room without hurting myself. That's 20 stairs folks, 20! 

Too cute, so I had to add it
It was a great weekend, and I can't wait to do it again. New Year's anyone!

Sarah N. requested that I post about what all we cooked. So, I did on my other blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment