Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Life in the Frozen Tundra


I don't recall having moved to the Arctic Circle, but apparently I have. Granted, I am thrilled to have gotten to see a White Christmas in my life time. Particularly since the last time Georgia saw one, cameras didn't exists. Okay, perhaps that's a stretch, but according to this its been since 1882.

Anyway, this morning I woke up thinking that the snow surely would have been gone by now. Nope. Still snow covered river banks. Then, as I was walking down my porch stairs, I barely noticed some ice on them and almost slipped. Last night at the gym, as if an omen or something, ice barred the entrance from all visitors. I had to help this elderly woman across the ice so that she wouldn't slip. Apparently not going to visit the gym though, just cutting through from the old folks home to go shopping.

This morning my car was completely frosted over. While I was scraping the ice off, it would transfer to my gloves and stick like glue. My fingers were absolutely freezing! Then, as I was pulling out of the drive, a red bug was in front of me. I was so afraid that she would slip and slide all over the place as "black ice" was all around. Finally, I made to the road, safe and sound. The actual roads here are fine, but I noticed in my car that the thermometer said that it was a whopping 19 degrees out.

Ahhh. The same goes for the parking lot at work. There were places all around where folks had dumped out their coffee from their cars and it was frozen solid to the ground. This morning when I went to change out the backup disk, I almost considered staying in the control room. It was sooooo warm. But no, back to my cubicle!

Hopefully Georgia will be... Georgia once more and have an unseasonably warm January and February. Fingers crossed! They just might get frozen that way.

1 comment:

  1. It's not going to be as warm as you think. Don't you remember the massive snow storm we got on my birthday?

    ReplyDelete