Friday, April 9, 2010

Take a walk with me.

Today, for my lunch break, I decided to take a walk downtown. It was such a beautiful day, the rain washed all the pollen away, and it wasn't insufferably hot.

I walked all over. Saw the new restaurants and bars setting up shop in the old buildings that had gone out of business. Its nice to see that this town isn't entirely dying. I saw people taking their picture with the bulldog at City Hall. (Athens is scattered with bulldogs all over the town and each has their own theme).

Then I came to the Old Georgia Theatre. I remember the day that it burned. During my lunch break that day, I walked down there with my boyfriend at the time and his best friend who was visiting from Atlanta. Smoke was everywhere. It took the firefighters almost the entire day to put it out. Many of the restaurant near it had to shut down for the day because it was miserable being just two blocks near it.

As I was passing, I decided to take a pic of it.

That light blue is not the window, rather the sky showing through the empty roof and broken windows. Its so sad. I loved this building and always admired it. I remember the first time that I saw it. It was my 21st birthday and my friends and I had traveled up here for the occasion. There were people lined up outside to hear the band playing that night. The lights were blinking and shining, for a minute you might think you were in Times Square, or that is, the Time Square in Athens.

Anyway, thanks for taking the walk with me. Next time I might venture onto campus. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment