Friday, January 14, 2011

Bringing Out That Inner Child

It has been a busy week at work and more so at home trying to catch up on everything. I predict that next week will be just as crazy, if not more. So the posts will probably come sparingly.

On Tuesday morning, I awoke and was informed that the office was having yet another snow day. Good thing too since my drive was completely iced over. I walked about my place for almost an hour. Saw things that I had never noticed before since moving there. For instance, one of my neighbors has a bungalow type thing attached to the back of their unit and it has a separate stair and entrance. So cool, huh?

I almost slid down some stairs while trying to scale them as I approached the road. Finally, I decided to get a move on and I was off. Where to? Sarah's, of course. She lives about five miles from me and determined to (1) not allow her to drive and (2) to not spend another day in the snow alone, I hiked to her place. She, and her dog Milly, met me about 3/4 of the way there. It was so much fun watching her dog try to navigate the ice.

When we got back to her place, I had some of her cranberry and orange muffins. Delicious! Then we scoured her house looking for something, anything that could be used as a sled. Success! When Ben was officially on his lunch break, as he works from home and didn't get a day off, he drove us back to my place, or rather the trail that leads to my place. We then prepared and pushed one another down the huge hill that leads down into the paths that follow the river. Unfortunately, since many had done this the day before, most of the quality snow had gone. After only a few tries (and some hilarious vids I might add), our fun came to an end. Sarah hit a rock and it tore a big hole in the tray to Milly's crate. Then, thinking that I would be able to still use it for one last ride, got it caught on an even bigger rock and tore another hole into it.

We then slid down the steep hill to the path, which was now covered in mud and we almost fell down. Then we decided to go hiking. As if I hadn't had enough, we hiked for two hours there and it only took us an hour to get back. I shot a "Woman v. Wild" kind of video following Sarah for a minute and then we just took mounds of pictures of the beautiful scenery to be seen. We crossed two creeks and finally got to a place where we decided that we needed to turn back before dark.

On our way back though, I decided that I had to climb the rock face that is early on in the trail. Not thinking this through, obviously, I was afraid that I would slide down the rocks onto Sarah. I was wearing my river boots which have rubber soles. Great for the river and snow, not so much for the ice. When I finally got up there, and was standing up top, I got immediately scared at how high I was and that I was standing on nothing but ice. I then crouched down and Sarah and I slid the 20 or so feet back down on our butts.

It took forever for them to thaw out. Then we sat on the couch and watched movie after movie. Then Ben came and brought us pizza and made rice crispy treats with chocolate and peanut butter chips. Most delicious. It was a great night and I was sad to see them go.

Hopefully soon I will be able to steal her camera so that I can upload the photos. Plus those that were taken from New Year's as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment