Thursday, January 20, 2011

Happy Birthday Tara

Today would have been Tara's 34th birthday. To commemorate this special day, I would like to share a bit about her, her story.

My first memory of her... I was about two years old. I had climbed the top of my dresser by pulling the drawers out one my one. As I peered through the curtains on my window, I could see Tara and Adam climb into the school bus. I remember thinking about how long I would have to wait for her to come home so that I would have someone to play with. Our housekeeper was rather old and wasn't too keen on playing games, particularly with a toddler. I would sit in her room while she worked on her home work, playing in her Strawberry Shortcake toy chest that was in, you guessed it, the shape of a strawberry. I remember the pink glow that would surround me every time that I enclosed myself in it.

We would play "house" out in our tree house, me always demanding to play the role of "mother." I remember falling off the swing below the tree house and screaming for our mother. Tara, being my rescuer tended to my skinned knees and palms.

When I was in middle school, Tara was living in the guest house right after she had graduated college. It was great having her home again. On weekends we would have "pool parties" where we would crank the stereo up and eat ice cream by the pool. I would try to tan with her, but my fair skin just couldn't take it. Then I would challenge her to a dive competition. That was a running joke with us. Tara could not dive, although her belly flop was a sight not be missed. Other days, we would go to the movies together. I still have the ticket stub to the last movie we saw. Frequency.

Some mornings, I would go out to the pool house and she would braid or fix my hair for school. She was much better at things of that nature than I was. She use to always comment on our beautiful my hair was and would play with it for hours on end, most when we would watch movies or TV in the family room. Her touch was so gentle and calming. Most times I would fall asleep while she brushed or braided it.

What I remember most about her, and what most do as well, was her laugh. It was like she knew how to laugh better than anyone. Her nose would crinkle and her eyes were almost invisible. You couldn't help but laugh with her. She had such a great sense of humor too. There weren't many times when we were together that there wasn't laughing.

Now, when ever I think back, I remember two things. Her laugh and the warmth you felt when around her. Not a day goes by that I don't think of and miss her.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart!

1 comment: