Monday, January 10, 2011

SNOW DAY!

I haven't had a snow day in forever. And the great news, I may get another tomorrow. Since I work for a law firm, they are especially cautious in regards to things of this nature. When my boss called this afternoon to check on me, he (and my dad last night) reminded me that I live in a river valley and that ice was inevitable. "Be safe."

Well, I was safe-ish today. I didn't go driving anywhere, particularly since some jerk who doesn't live here drove around in a hummer and created all kinds of slush and ice. Asshole.

Last night I had spent about an hour sitting in my windowsill in my bedroom starring out the at the snow as it was falling while drinking some hot pomegranate tea. Melanie and her husband have this amazing deck out on the back of their unit with blue LED lights running up the railing. Every now and then the snow would catch the light and it would look as though they were twinkling and moving across the snow.

This morning, since I had anticipated having to go to work, I was dressed and out the door by 8:30. Glad that I got out there in time to see the beautiful powder snow before it got all hard from the sleet.

I walked all over and took pictures via my iphone and my Spartus full-vue. While I was out there, Melanie came out onto her porch and laughed at me for a minute, but insisted that I show her the photos once developed. I truly feel blessed to live out here. I know that I have been here for a few months now, but it is still a dream come true for me.

Using only the snow on my porch, I built the biggest snow man I have ever single handedly built. I then walked down to the river bank and found some limbs to use as arms. When I came inside to dry off, I noticed my neighbor Bill and his wife walk by and chuckle at it. They think I am such a hoot.

After a nice cup of hot chocolate, I went out on the porch once more, rounded up some fresh, soft snow and made ice cream. Not just any though, raspberry and white chocolate chip ice cream. I put in the fridge for later and grabbed another batch full of snow for Sarah and I to play with later.

After putting some ingredients into the bread machine, I walked out of my loft again and this time went on a two hour hike. The whole time carrying a pizza sheet. Originally I was going to try and sled with it, but all I did was scoop up the snow with the curved edges. (I shall try again tomorrow after finding a proper box). I then walked and walked down the trail. Further than I have ever since moving here. I was the only one out there and it was absolutely breathtaking. I went through a bamboo forest where the shafts were larger than my hand could wrap round. Once I actually fell down a small hill not realizing how deep the snow was.

I saw areas of this town that I am sure that none of you have, and I feel quite privileged of such. (For right now, my computer is having difficulties in uploading the photos, but I will soon). At one point, as I have been saying I would do since the move, I climbed into the river. I got about five feet out, moving from rock to rock, and took a picture. Very difficult task if I say so myself. Juggling the gloves, the phone and the snow that was pelting me in the face, but success.

It was just amazing to be out there, in the complete silence of nature and just watching the snow fall. I have never felt so peaceful in all my life.

When I came home, Mo still refused to come out and play. He retreated back up stairs when I tried to bring him out with me. I then sat down and had a little late lunch, and watched HP: Sorcerer's Stone. Tomorrow, seeing as I am down to one egg, and contemplating hiking up the to grocery store so that I can bake some more goods. That is, providing that I do get the day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment