Friday, January 21, 2011

Frances

Let me tell you about a woman named Frances. She was my grandmother. I'm saying 'was' because sadly she passed away on Tuesday evening. Today, we must say our final "goodbyes."

In an effort to honor her life, I wanted to share some memories that I have from when I was a child.

My first memory of her is from a time that I was visiting at her condo. I couldn't have been much older than three. I would sit in front of her huge television (or at least it was to a toddler) and watch the live action Peter Pan. You know, back when they had women play the part. I would sit there and eat my Mickey Mouse shaped ice cream popsicle. I remember riding my cart that I had built out of waffle blocks and seeing the grooves that I was making in her shag carpet.

For some reason, and I still don't know why, but this memory of eating grits at her table in the morning is stuck in my head. I would circle around the edges of the mound of grits she would place on my plate. Each time that I made a full circle, I would giggle to myself because I could see more of the pattern on the dish. Her dishes are another memory for me. No one else I knew had those dishes. They were beige with brown flowers on them and a brown outer lining.

I also remember her cat. I could never say his name correctly so I always called him Pumpkin, and still do to this day. I would search under each piece of furniture until I would find him huddled under her comforter. The funniest story that she had of me, and would never pass up a chance to tell it, was once she had a little stuffed cloth cat on a pedestal. I had come to visit her one weekend and said, "Look Granny, it's Pumpkin on a stick!" She thought it was the cutest thing.

Her voice, even now as I write this, is echoing through my head. It was the sweetest, most gentle voice. You would never know if she were angry at you (or perhaps I was just that angelic and she never was) because her voice was always so calm.

The last time that I saw her, I had almost decided not to go by. It was getting late and I had just finished my Christmas shopping. I was worried that she would be asleep and I did not want to wake her. I ignored my hesitations and drove to her nursing home anyway. I am so glad that I did. We sat there for an hour just talking, about nothing really. She told me about her childhood, stories which I had never heard.

When she was young, her mother would allow her to visit the movies once when a new film was playing. (Remember, this was back in the day when movies were a big deal and there was only one at the theater at a time). She told me that sometimes she would go and watch the movie twice. Her favorite was the Client and I remember watching it with her many, many years ago.

So here's to you, Granny. Although I will miss you, I am glad that you went out of this world in your own style. I am glad that you may finally have some peace and that you are in a place where pain is no more.

She lived a full life. Four children, eight grandchildren, six great grandchildren.
 
Today we say our goodbyes. We love you and will miss you.
 
Rest in Peace, Frances.

2 comments:

  1. I had totally forgotten the "pumpkin on a stick" story. :)

    Oh, I miss her. Life seems so empty now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that one is probably my favorite. Anywho, dearest Frannie, life may seem empty now, but just remember, you are stronger than you give yourself credit for. Remember when Tara died and life itself seemed to halt and was no longer worth living? Well, it took me a while to realize this, but it so is. We have to carry on for them. Continuing to make them proud. And don't forget, you have a wonderful husband and two fantastic (hopefully if Jett gets his little act together) children that have already brought so much joy to your life.

    And don't forget your greatest joy in the entire whole wide world...ME!

    ReplyDelete