Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ad-mazing Time

Inside joke. While Adam was visiting me this past weekend, he told me that he was going to change his name to Ad, since I go by Mere. You can't change it yourself buddy, someone else has to call you that first. Like I posted a while back, people have been calling Mere for nearly a decade if not more. Sorry bro, aint gonna happen.

This weekend though we had a great time. He came into town Friday. Finally finding his way to my house after his gps got him lost, he hopped in my car and went for a stroll downtown. We walked all over, originally just because we were waiting until we were actually hungry for dinner and because we thought that Sarah and Ben would be able to join us.

I took his picture at the Arch, which I was surprised that he had never done that before. He refused to let me take his picture on one of the bulldogs though. Not a true torists here.

After learning that Sarah and Ben would be unable to make it for dinner and would join us later for some drinks, we headed over to Flight. He finally made me try humus again. I tried it once many moons ago and disliked the grainy texture to it, although this patch was tolerable. Notice I didn't say pleasing here.

It was a great dinner though, particularly since neither of us were starving, so the tapas hit that spot. Afterwards, we headed over to Globe. I told him during our walk that it was supposedly on the top ten list of best bars in the US and he was shocked when I told him that I had never been there. Although it was interesting and I did enjoy the atmosphere, I must say that I was disappointed when I saw that my Blue Moon came without an orange wedge. Doesn't everyone know that you must serve Blue Moon with an orange?

Then I took him to my favorite place, the Winery. After that we hit up the Capital Room, which is suppose to be the new happening place in town. There Sarah and Ben finally met up with us. 'Bout time folks. There we ran into a familar face, Rich, my spin instructor. Turns out he and Ben know some of the same peeps. Small world.

Then it was time to take Adam to, and I refuse to call it by its new name, Firehouse. Sorry, but I think the whole situation around the name change was stupid. There he met my friend and bar sensational, Hugh. Its funny, Hugh has also started going to spin class. I saw him there once and wasn't sure that it was him at first. When all you have ever seen of him for the two years that I've known him is his waiste up, yeah, it catches you off guard.

Finally, we ended the night at my most, absolute fav spot in this town, 8e's. He loved it. It was great being there and being one of the few people who were actually alive during the 80's. We were throwing down our best moves. It was so much fun. We kept cracking up Sarah. Then Adam tried to swing. I am a pretty fair dancer and before the accident in college was taking numerous modern dance classes, but before all that, I taught my younger brother (primarily because Adam was stationed far away in the military) how to swing and salsa. Well, Adam was doing a fair job that night, but he has two left feet.

The next morning he requested Awful Waffle. Apparently the small town in the Lone Star State that he is currently stationed does not have one. So, off we went. As we were walking up the establishment, guess who was walking out? Rich, small world indeed. After some much needed grease and artery clogging food, it was time to head back for some household chores. I grabbed my lawnmower and headed out to the yard. You may be asking why Adam wasn't doing it, being the big brother and all. Well, because he was inside disecting and attempting to repair my scooba. It died after the second time that I used it and I was so angry at wasting all that money. I called the support line and they said that all they could do was send me a new one for 179. No thank you!

Three hours and a trip to the store for duct tape, electrical tape and rubbing alcohol, she was fixed! Now permanently with a "black eye" (electrical tape), but she works as good as new. I was amazed that it was able to do it when the support rep was so unwilling to do anything. Ugh! I was a little worried though. When he told me that he was finished, he came to me with a bowl of like 15 left over screws. Hmmmm.


Sadly, he had to head back on the road as his leave was ending soon and its a long drive back to Texas. I will miss him, especially since I only see him usually for the holidays (if that). We are pretty close to one another, particularly since we were the middle kids and usually caused the most trouble. Not saying that I don't love my other siblings just as much, but the middle kids have to stick together.

It was kind of cool though. He called me last night during his long drive back and said that by some weird freak of nature, he was driving along the Mississippi and was listening to a local radio station from my town. How does that happen?

2 comments:

  1. I was way past Mississippi, I was nearly at the TX border. 0_o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon me, I stand corrected. That is still super cool though that you were that far.

    ReplyDelete