Monday, June 21, 2010

They just keep getting better and better.


I had yet another fantastic weekend. Friday, I went to get my hair cut and thinned out so that I can handle this crazy heat, got my toes done at my most favorite spot (they are so sweet. They did the color twice, per their request, because they didn't like the way it looked), then I hung out at the mall with Mel and her hubby. Then I went home, read my new Cosmo and watched a chick flick while resting my poor ankle (okay, it still hurts, but y'all stop worrying).

Saturday seemed like the day that never ended. I went to Vicki Secret for their semi annual sale and stocked up on all kinds of goodies (they also measured me to make sure that I was what I thought I was). I loved the fact that I go so much for so little, especially since I know that in a month they won't fit anymore. Bittersweet feeling. Then I grabbed a little lunch (craving Chinese like nobody's business) and then met up with Mel at the pool. Ahhhh, so relaxing. And get this, I am not burned, well except for the part in my hair (that's what I get for trying to be cute in the pool).

After the much needed two hour session of some serious R&R, I went home and got ready for my next venture. I traveled to my old stomping grounds to visit an old friend who is going to be moving soon for grad school. I hadn't seen him in forever, and I mean forever. He was such a great friend to me, particularly while I was going through a rough spot with the doctor.

When I crossed into the city limits he called to tell me that he would be a few, that he had just gotten a call that one of the sprinklers in the dorms had gone off. It took me back a ways. My very first night as an RA was such an experience. I had just gotten back from a funeral (the doctor's mother's to be exact) and it was four in the morning when the alarm went off. I jumped out of bed, grabbed my pants and set of keys and whipped my door open.

What did I see?

This large stream of water jetting out and pelting the wall. One of the fire sprinklers had exploded and was flooding the entire building (it was the fourth floor and the water traveled all the way down and flooded the building and destroyed much of the ceiling and drywall on all floors).

I raced into action and began checking all the rooms and vacating the building. What a night. I don't believe that I actually got to sleep until 8 or something. The Housing Department sent a message out to all professors excusing us from morning classes because the entire housing staff came in to help.

Anyway, moving on. Apparently his situation was nothing near as bad. Just a small leak easily handled by a bucket. As I waited for him, I sat on the swing on the porch of my old dorm (now offices). I remember when they hung that swing, we were so excited, we grilled out that weekend on the front steps of the building. I scrap booked it. I also sat there and remembered all the times that we would go out on the front lawn and throw the frisbee. Well, they would throw it, and I would hobble after it (this was right after my accident, running was difficult for me). Hahaha, the [Mere] shuffle.

We then walked down to my favorite eatery. The Brick. Ahh, such sweet memories. Every Tuesday night throughout my entire college career was spent there. They had 39 cent wings that night and boy were they good.

We talked and talked and talked some more. Pretty sure the waitress was getting annoyed because she had given us the check early and we were talking and laughing so much that it took forever to finish our meals. After finally finishing up, we were off to our next stop.

He had promised me during dinner that he would take me up the third floor of a dorm that has been off limits for I can't remember how long. Back in the 50's a girl killed herself up there when it was used as a party hall because some boy had left her. There are so many ghost stories about it. Plenty of people have claimed to have seen her peering out from the windows on the third floor. It was so spooky being up there, and hot. The old floors were still there and exposed. Many of the walls had huge gaping holes in them, the sinks were missing in many of the restrooms and the tile and showers look like something from a horror film.

However, it was nothing like that time we went under the dorm that I lived in my freshman year and the old housing building where most of it had been boarded up. We had nothing but the light on the video camera. The basement looked as though there was a chemistry lab down there, they finished for the day and never came back. Like a nuclear holocaust or something. Beakers and test tubes left out, stools pull out from under the counters, spider webs everywhere. Ahhhhh.

The old Housing Building was just as creepy. We went through the office that had the only working door into the rest of the building (the others had been boarded up and sealed). Inside it looked like a legitimate haunted house. Spiraling staircases, creaking floors. My friend John said that he saw the ghost one time climbing the stairs through an outside window.

One time, my friends and I decided to camp outside the building so that we could be the first to sign up for housing the following year. It began to rain, hard, on us, but we stayed out there. Completely drenched.

After my spooky tour, we went back to his apartment. We just talked and talked and talked for hours on end. Standing the entire time. I didn't even notice that my foot was hurting or how late it had gotten. I laughed so hard that my face was in so much pain. Finally, I looked at my phone. 12:30, what the &*^@! Where did the time go. I asked him where the nearest gas station would be that was open this time of night and that had air. So, he drove me back to my car, said our goodbyes, and I was off. I visited two gas stations that night. One of the air pumps required a dollar to run it, while the last only needed 5o cents. Can you believe that no gas station in Milledgeville gives out cash back? Its crazy, so after searching my car, I found the necessary quarters and put air in my tire that was looking really low. Eek. Then pumped gas and I was off.

I got home at 2 on the dot. Needless to say, Mo (my cat) was not pleased with me. I climbed into bed and crashed. I hadn't slept that long in forever. I would have slept longer, that is, if someone hadn't woken me up. Just kidding, Frannie called and needed a moment to vent (that's what I am here for dear, never feel bad about waking me up again!) Later that day, I went to the gym and attended spin class. It was a long one and my ankle is still throbbing from it. Oops. Maybe I will take it easy this week with the exception of the other spin class and my personal training session. I just wish it would hurry up and heal already.
Anyway, thanks to Mel and John for such a great weekend. I will miss John terribly and I hate that this was the first time that I had seen him since I left Milledgeville and that it will be the last for such a long time. (I might make the effort to come and visit, but did it have to be Arkansas, really?) I will miss our late night convos and hours of playing my super nintendo. All those programs and cleaning of the buildings after the summer camps. Those were the days, such great days. I miss them dearly. Those trips to the pool with J Ward. You guys were and still are awesome. I am so happy for you, but at the same time sad that you will be leaving. Take care my friend, and hopefully your journey will bring you back to Georgia, or someone much closer than Arkansas.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry!! I didn't know you had been up half the night!! I feel bad for calling, but if it helps, you really made me feel better. I no longer felt the need to punch a hole through someone's skull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got to come out!! Maybe Sunday we can do an early morning at the pool since I have to work at 1!

    ReplyDelete