Thursday, November 18, 2010

Its Just Stuff- Bill

This week has really flown by, and I mean that. Its seems like yesterday I was driving home from my parents. Eeek.

First and foremost, today is my mother's birthday, so...HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA!!!!

Moving on. Now, this week has been a crazy one, let me tell you. Tuesday I finally got my hair cut (it was starting to get at that awkward stage where you didn't know what to do with it) and had dinner with Sarah S. We finally got to celebrate that thing. You know, the one that I mentioned ever so vaguely last week that I am continuing to remain vague on. We headed over to my favorite tapas place, with coupon in hand, and enjoyed our sangria.

While at dinner, I received a most disturbing phone call. It was from my neighbor, the one who use to live in my unit. Apparently the unit two doors down from mine had their water main bust. It flooded three other units as well. He asked if he could check my unit for damage, seeing as he is the agent and still has a key. I told him to stop talking to me and do it already.

Sarah and I sat there, in total silence, waiting for the phone to ring. (She loves my place too and is still jealous that I live there). Finally, a few minutes later, all is well. The water apparently stopped at my neighbors and ruined her brand new hard wood floors. My heart breaks for all those who experienced water damage. I poked my head in when I arrived home that night. ServePro was there and already tearing down his drywall. All his belongings were soaked. I couldn't believe how optimistic he was though. He told me that he had picked up vase that his grandson had made him and it completely crumbled in his hand. "He'll make another one though. Its just stuff."

He made me start thinking. If the same had happened to me, I would have been devastated. Mostly because my furniture is all antique and belonged to various family members, some of which I have never met. But, he was right. If I had lost those items, it doesn't change the fact that were are still family or the fact that I still love them, although they are now gone.

Its just stuff. I am going to try to apply that to my everyday life now... that is where applicable.

I do, however, want to capture more moments from now on. In light of the fact my family will be spending Thanksgiving at my place, I purchased something rather unique. I wanted to make sure that I took photos of everyone together, especially when we start decorating the tree together. Those are moments that I am going to want to freeze in time.

So, I bought this little beauty. Don't worry, I did my research and have already purchased the correct film for it and found out that a camera shop in town will develop the rolls and place on a disc for me for about nine bucks. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment