Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Reason 197 Why My Cat is AWESOME

My cat has GPS.

I first got this ball of hilarity in January of this year. His previous owner was a vet student and could no longer keep him as she was bringing her dogs to her new place and was sure that they would not mix. So, she carted him over and stayed for a few minutes, explained how to properly apply his flee medicine and then left.

He cried and cried. The next morning he woke at 5 am and cried, and cried, and cried. I was ready to kill the little guy, but could empathize that he was scared and didn't know what was going on. Finally, after having listened to him for two hours, I got out of bed and was getting ready. As I was walking out of the door for work, Mo decided that he would too. He ran right out and into the woods behind my house. Didn't have him for more than 12 hours before he flew the coop.

Well, Home Again was called and notified of his escape. The vet student was notified, and I went out to her place during lunch to see if maybe he tried to find his way back to her. For a straight week people had been searching for him.

Then, one night, on my way to pick up Matt from work. I was coming up to the bridge when a small animal ran in front of my car. I could have sworn that it was Mo, and that there was no way that it had gotten away in time. I cried the entire way there and back. He had to drive back and to humor me drove over the bridge numerous times to see if there was an animal on the side of the road.

Later that night, while in the garage (which the door had been cracked that whole week) Mo came running in for some food. Not wanting to freak him out, Matt pulled the cord on the garage opener and manually closed it so that he could run off again. I was so relieved that he was okay and had come back.

Well, when I moved a few weeks ago, I was concerned that he would stage yet another escape. I knew that I would have to let him outside, seeing as he hates the litter box and will sit at the door and cry until you let him out to use the restroom...or dirt.

He did fine though. I suppose that it was easier for him in light of the fact that it was just a new place he was getting use to and not new people in addition to it. He loves it out there and will be waiting in the flower bed next to where I park my car every day for me to come home.

This weekend was the first that I had been gone overnight since moving. I didn't think that it would be a problem seeing has his transition went smoothly. I put his food out and made sure that he had lots of water, and thought all would be fine until I returned the next day. When I got home Sunday night, he was no where to be found. Not a problem, he has been gone overnight before himself. But, it was after the fact that he didn't come home last night that had me worried. The last two nights in a row I would have the blinds on the window up so that if he were to come up I could see him. Each night, I passed out on the sofa waiting for him to poke his little face up against the glass. And, each night I would wake up at 3 am to find that he hadn't.

Finally, this morning, I got up early, walked around the complex, in the rain, through the woods and nothing. My final, and last ditch effort, I got into my car and drove over to the old neighborhood. I pulled up to my old house and the second that I got out of the car, there he was running up to me. I scooped him up and brought him home. Without missing a beat, he walked in and ran for the food and then laid on the sofa for a nap.

How did he know how to get back to the old house? He must have thought that was where I had gone and was coming to get me. Either that, or I am allowing my kitty parent brain run away with me. But, you have to admit, that is pretty cool that he is so aware of his surroundings and can remember that well. I am sure that if I had waited until this evening to go looking for him, he would probably have been waiting on the front porch for me when I got home.

1 comment: