Thursday, October 28, 2010

Getting my DIY on

I was reading a blog yesterday and got this great idea. Okay, I stole it. Anyway, it totally works though with the setting of my new place. Being on the river and all.

So, I ventured over to the Dollar Store (I dream on a budget) and bought eight bags of rocks, all the super glue they had and a carpet square all... a dollar each. Who would have thunk it?

 Anyway, I got home after having heaved and hoed to get the heavy 16 pound bag of rocks into the house during an absolute down pour. In the floor I cut all the bags open and dumped them onto the floor. (Did I mention that I typically make a lot of messes when I play?) Then I grabbed my preexisting toilet mat and cut the old welcome mat that I no longer use into the same shape.

This is particularly difficult if you have already packed your good scissors and only have the little ones from your knife block that you purchased from Ikea. Lesson learned.

Then it was time for the sticky stuff. For this particular project, I went through five tubes of crazy glue. And, I haven't attempted the bath mat yet. I need to make another trip to the store for that one.

Moving on. Rock by rock, I glued them down, careful to not bump the others because it took a good couple of hours for them to get firm. I also had to watch and make sure that I wasn't inadvertently creating patterns or lining them up.


To help aid in that, I would periodically turn the rug around and start working in another corner and continue there. It was like working a giant puzzle with a million pieces, but with a little help from the Beatles, I made it through. I finished up at around midnight and placed a flatten box on top and placed a heavy piece of furniture on top to help it dry correctly and securely.


 I have to admit, I couldn't help it. This morning when I woke, I walked over and removed the items from on top and placed my bare feet on it. The rocks felt so cool and smooth. I cannot wait until I make the other one. Although I might wait a day. The super glue has a tendency to remove the top layer of your epidermis. My fingers feel a little raw right now, and I will be pulling out glue "strings" from under my nails for a week.

The final project is pretty cool though. Although very heavy. I love the variations in the colors. It makes me happy. I can't wait until they are completely finished and in the new place.

3 comments:

  1. very cool-- but what is it? is it a mat for the toilet?

    looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one is. The other will be for either under the sink or the bath. I can't remember or recall in my head exactly the bathroom placement. I'm very happy though. I think that it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay-- I thought so, since you used it as a template, but wasn't sure. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete