Sunday, October 3, 2010

See Bell. See Bell run. Run Bell, run.

This past Saturday was the Annual SPACE Race. My mom and dad came up especially for this event, and it was the first time that they had ever spent the night or day here. It was awesome having them up. When they came, they brought with them a running buddy for me, Bell.

She really is the best dog. Originally belonging to my older brother, she became too much for him to handle plus his other dog. So, my parents gladly adopted her. She is a Great Pyrenees lab mix and is a fierce protector of her "herd" a/k/a my family. When I had my wisdom teeth out, she stood by my side the entire time. Particularly since my grandmother was trying to give me rice krispy treats. "Um, I just had surgery in my mouth, I might as well chew on some glass."

Anyway, I was super excited about being able to take Bell with me. I was a little worried about doing my first race along, but she made it all better. She only tripped me once when she saw a squirrel while going through a neighborhood, and then the last quarter mile, her tongue was hanging out and I had to tug on her more than I had expected. But, she and I made it, and in record time. Usually my run to Ramsey and back takes an hour, and its roughly 4 miles. This was a 5k that we did, which is around 3 miles. We cut approximately 30 minutes off my time!


My dad said that they guy who won ran it in 17:53. His first response was, "is the shuttle running this morning?" I couldn't believe it. What was really interesting was that after I had cooled down a bit and was chugging water, I saw a familiar face who had just finished. Patrick, an old friend of Josh's from college. I always thought that he was in good shape and he came and left there on a bike. So, I was surprised that I finished before him. I was even more surprised that he remembered my name.

Later that morning, after a trip home and hosing myself off, we headed over the Gardens for a little picnic like we use to have when I was a kid. My mom loved the English Garden and could not get enough of it. I also showed them where I would be moving to, and believe it or not, I think that my mom is more excited than I am for me.

Now, if only it were time for me to move. I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment