Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Unorthodox Inspiration

This morning when I woke, I felt terrible like death warmed up. My throat was in extreme pain, as was my head. I forced myself from my comfy confines and tried to get a start on. As I walked down the hallway, each light that I reached for and turned on was like shining a spot light in my face and a drill boring into my skull.

With each task that I attempted to complete, I felt worse and worse, regretting that I had even suggested the idea to myself. "Breakfast, no you silly girl, we can't make breakfast today. If you touch that box of oatmeal...you'll be sorry!" Boy was I.

As I finally managed to dress myself and was headed out the door, the thought kept running through my mind. "Can I really take on a day like this?" Driving was no easy chore, nor was making myself pay attention in class has he went over what we were to expect on our test for contracts.

Sitting here at work and completing my daily duties, I was placed on hold while trying to line some dates up. The "hold music" I really thought was going to kill me. That was it, I was going to die from a piano playing on a loop.

Now, you may be asking why I would put myself through all this pain? Why would I even have gotten out of bed all the while my head felt as though it was being squeezed through a juicer?

There are two people that come to mind that forced me to get a move on. The first, almost an iconic symbol for this town. There is a man who has no arms, hooks rather, who every day walks from the east side of town to downtown. He walks everyday to simply sell his drawings that he creates with permanent markers held in his mouth.

The other, another familiar character to the locals, which many call "Bags." He is a homeless person who is regularly seen carrying numerous bags stuffed to max capacity with his belongings. He wanders the city and has been spotted just about everywhere. This morning, I happen to had seen him. This time trekking up North Avenue carry a singletary black garbage bag.

These are the people that inspired me to get out of bed this morning. If these two gents can live their lives with their misfortunes and survive, surely I can get out and make it through my day with a headache, shortness of breath, and cough.

No comments:

Post a Comment