Friday, October 22, 2010

Townie

The students in this town have a lovely term for those who live here and (1) lived here their whole life; (2) went to school here and never left; and (3) just moved here. I fall under number three.

I went to college in Milledgeville. Georgia College & State University, or just Georgia College or GCSU for short. Upon graduating, I learned that there was no where for me to really go in that town. No one looking to hire (or pay well) a newly graduated twenty something. So, Sarah and I decided to make the journey northward.

Although Sarah was not immediately labeled a "townie" since she was doing her internship at the hospital and was still, in fact, a student of the nursing program at GCSU, I was a loner. Singled out, and I hated it. I would yell at people who called me that. I once walked away from a cute guy because he called me that.

Well, yesterday after work, I was walking downtown to pick up my shoes that I had dropped off for some repairs. When I got there, and to no surprise, they were not even touched. He did the repairs while I waited, which wasn't bad. During those ten minutes, I stood and looked around the shop. You could tell that it had been there for a while and was always a shoe repair. Then I glanced over at the wall. The only thing that seemed in pristine condition were three frames of newspaper clippings that went back to before I was born. I found it interesting and a real feat that the business could stay... well, in business for that long.

Then I started thinking about what other places I knew in town like that. For instance, the old Hodgon's Pharmacy. Granted the moved down the block, but they have been at Five Points forever. The old Bottlework's Factory, although no longer bottling cokes, but now serves as the home of several businesses and... homes. How about my new home? Once and textile mill and now the home of several professors, young professionals, and me.

As I was walking back down towards the end of town to where my car was parked, I looked around at all the other shops, and at the people. I saw one panhandler sitting on the bench across from the bank, adjacent to her, a man playing a guitar. This town consists of all walks of life, and for that, it is a gem.

So, for now, I shall embrace the stereotype. I have thought about moving back here one day, perhaps to retire. That is, so long as I don't make my millions first and buy my NY pint house.

2 comments: