Monday, August 9, 2010

"Family Reunion"

Saturday was the State CAR Society's Workshop. This is when the state society gets together and presents their programs and objectives for that year, we have lunch and then usually some fun activity.

I had not been in two years. That's right. No one in CAR had seen me in two years. Eek. I walked in, and saw my dear, dear friend, surrogate father, and "Godfather." He has also been called my partner in crime. We just get along so well and he helped me raise $5,000.00 in nine months for my state project when I was State President and turned it into a standing committee. In fact, they are still making improvements to the battle site of Kettle Creek, which was where the only revolutionary battle was fought in Georgia.

(Note: I know that if you aren't in CAR, you probably (a) don't understand and word that I am saying, (b) could probably care less and (c) could probably care less.)

Anyway, I walked right up to him, and although I did still have my shades on, he had no idea who I was. I started talking to him, and he was just giving me the usual causal responses you would give to someone that you didn't know.

"Hal, do you really not know who I am?" I took my glasses off, and looked him straight in the eye.

"Baby doll, you look amazing! I had no idea that was you. Look at you, darling, I just can't believe it!"

We exchanged a great big hug. This man has really done so much for me. Even when I had a sudo stalker, and I mean that he would follow me around at events, send notes to my parents house, and he was old enough to be my father, Hal went over there and set the man straight. I never heard a word out of the man since then.

Then I ran into my friend Andy's mother, the one who warned me not to go to law school. She said that I looked terrific. "Thanks, I feel terrific."

It was just so great to see everyone. It also made me sad because my two girls are all grown up. Every since Carter and Erin were able to walk, they have been my "shadows." I saw then this weekend and Carter had keys in her hand. "No, no, you can't drive, get back in your stroller right this minute!"



Then I saw Jordan and David. They were operating the giant water slide that the boy scouts had built for this school that led straight into the lake. They were just tots when they joined our local society and I was State Pres. Now, Jordon is about to start college. What?!?

Its amazing how time flies. I am so mad at myself for missing so much. Even my friend Emily, Andy's sister, her daughter was there. I remember when Emily first had her, and little Maddy was in a baby carriage the first time I saw her. Now she is in the 5th grade?

For now on, if I can make it, I am not going to miss anymore state functions. While I was there, it made me realize how much I missed it and how much of a difference in made in my life. It taught me how to address a large room of people, and to come out of my shell. Back in the day, you wouldn't be surprised to see my sitting in a corner and hiding from the party. After a year in CAR, no sir, I was out and ready to shine.

Another plus, State conference in is Savannah this year. Woo, sign me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment