Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Invasion of the Students

I went for a run yesterday after class and literally lost count on how many moving trucks were in people's driveways. I noticed that there were a lot more people out too, all walking their dogs. This neighborhood is about to explode isn't it?

Unfortunately for me, it means that I will have to actually wake up earlier to get to work. I loved the fact that this summer I didn't get up until 7:30, ate breakfast, showered and was ready to go by 8:15. Now, I am going to have to be out the door by 8 to beat the mad traffic that is about to ensue on Lexington Avenue. That is by far the worst intersection in this whole town, and the longest light. Cops will be lining up that stretch of road to catch those who speed (me).

Although, this does mean one awesome series of events will be taking place soon. Tailgating, woo. That is the one guaranteed time that I can actually visit with my friends and have a great time. No one works on gameday. Its gameday for crying out loud. I am so excited. Plus this may be my last opportunity to do this for at least three years, depending on where I move to that is.

It makes me want to kick myself in the butt though. When I first moved here, Sarah S. and I did not want to leave the house on game day. You could move five feet down the road in an hour's time. So, we just stayed at home and had our own party and watched the game on TV. Now, I wish I could go back into time. The experience of being out there with thousands of other screaming and excited fans really does make a difference. It really is the only time that you could walk 10+ miles in a day and not notice, although I'm sure the alcohol has something to do with it.

I remember one year, my friend Drew came into town from Alabama and stayed with me. He was such a hoot. Then there was that time that I tailgated with Bobby and Bear. Oh Bear, he just can't hold his alcohol. Love you, but yeah, work on that. Practice makes perfect, right?

Then there was the time that it was Kevin's birthday. We had such a great time that day. Mel's dad kept egging him on and every body was picking on him (all in good fun). Sorry Kev, you never out grown being the little brother.

I've also learned many valuable lessons. Nick taught me how to properly throw a football. I perfected my pong technique, learned from Mel and Lin that you can never be too dressed up for a game, and that coke spelled down the back of your legs is never fun. Oh, and that a shot glass is impossible to see in the left over ice and when you dump it in the garbage disposal, bad things happen.

I'm so excited that I just can't wait. Yipee!! GO DAWGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment