Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fashionable + Popular= Punk

This past weekend I was speaking with my mother. It started out as just a friendly little "catch up chat." You know, check in on the empty nesters now that the little one has finally flown the coup.

"Can I say something and have you actually hear it and listen?"


Oh boy, what did I do this time?


Apparently, and my parents have always had opinion on my hair and overall appearance, my mother thinks that I am in some way rebelling. "Okay, how do you figure?"


"Your hair always looks so good long and blonde. When everybody saw you at Workshop, they just 'ooh, and ahhed' over how pretty you looked. That hair cut you have now just looks so punk. It seems like there should be a pink or orange streak through it or something."


Really? I told her that I did listen and appreciated her honesty, but, honestly, I didn't agree with her. Its a bob, an angled bob. People have been "bobing" their hair since the 1920's. I can't recall anyone ever referring to those individuals, flappers I mean, as punks. Nor did they have mutli colored hair.


I just love how old fashioned my mother is. I really mean that though. She was practically raised by her grandmother. A person who was alive and could vividly recall the sinking of the Titanic. Although my mother was born in the 50's and raised in the 60's, you wouldn't think it.

Many times I just have to give her simple explanations to pacify her. "Well, Mama, its just too hot right now to have long hair, and it will grow out." I also pull this one too. "Its my head, its been my head my whole life, and unless you are willing to drive up here every morning and style it, I shall do what I want with it."

She then proceeded to scan and email to me a picture from Southern Living. When I asked her what that was all about, she told me that the girl in the pic was so beautiful, was a beauty queen and she looks just like me, but with long curled hair. In the back ground I could hear my dad yelling, "Its you, its you!"

She didn't like what I had to say. And I had to, just to be a jerk. "Mama, her hair is so big because it has to distract people from her wide nose and ugly face." Snap, crackle and pop.

She had just pulled a chord with me, and I had to retaliate.

Please don't think that my mother is a negative person. She is constantly telling me what an inspiration I am to her and that I am her hero for everything and that she is constantly talking about me to the ladies at work.

I love my mom, I just wish that I could bring her into the 21st century, or at least the latter half of the 20th. I am planning on having her come up soon, and when I do, she promised that I could take her to Republic and let them do her hair.

Muahahahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment