Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sarah S.


What can I say about Sarah S.? When I first met her, she was this shy little preacher's daughter from a small town in middle Georgia. I use to watch what I would say around her.

She will never, to this day, never let me forget the first thing that I said to her. "God you're white." I was so shocked to see someone who was a fair skinned as I was. It was no insult dear, surely you most know that by now.

Anyway, like I was saying. We spent so much time together in good old Terrell Hall. We would travel in a group or pack to the dinning hall everyday. On many days, I would be working, taking a class and would barely have time to run in for lunch. I was always gone on weekends too for CAR and ADPi related events. This is when Sarah coined the phrase, Mere Jelly. She said that I was spread so thin. She would sit there and look at me with such sad expressions as I would force food down my throat for ten minutes before leaving to head back out. (It might have also had something to do with the way that she eats her food. She smacked Billy in the head once with a piece of lettuce. I'm just saying, look out.)

Then there was the summer that she came to visit me while I was a CA for the Housing Department at school. That summer, I don't know what happened, but she completely broke out of her shell. I was shocked to see her wear a shirt without sleeves. What? Who are you?

Sophomore year, right after I had moved into my apartment, she broke, no shattered her arm. She was playing tag football. How do you shatter your arm playing a non contact sport? It still gets me. I made her this huge, gianormous get well card and took it down to Napier to await her return. She ended up dropping that semester and joined my boat of late graduates.


I remember once I asked her to dye my hair for me. It was the first time that she had done it for me. Usually Deanna would. While I was waiting for the timer to go off, she, Sarah N., Billy and Mike were sitting down for dinner. I walked in and asked her if I was suppose to feel heat. She freaked out and slammed my head under the water and rushed to get the dye out. Since that day, she has refused to do my hair.

When I moved into the house that they later joined me in, she helped me spackle an entire wall. She further joined Rachel and I on an adventure to Auburn. We crashed a wedding there. It was great. We had champagne, cake, and danced all over the place. It was awesome. We slept the entire car ride home to Rachel's house and her mom drove us back to Milly the next day. We were flying by the seat of our pants that weekend.

Then the time came when she did move in. That first night, we had crab legs for dinner and white wine. We finished off that entire bottle ourselves, which was crazy for us. We were light weights then. We were trying to hang her curtains up and I kept on slipping on the ladder and she kept dropping the curtains as she was handing them to me.

Later that night, we got a call from Josh to come and join him and his buddies at trivia night. Okay! So, on top of the wine we had two pitchers of beer and we lost at the game. Probably better off that way though. The winner won two free pitchers. Needless to say, we stumbled along that sidewalk back home that we would get to know so well over the next year.

Our senior trip to Myrtle Beach was great. Granted, it was March and it was freezing, but we had so much fun. We actually got Sarah into a Hooters. Can you believe it? Furthermore, one night while we were chilling in the hot tub, I saw Sarah take a big puff from Ben's cigar. I had to do a double take. It was the first and the last time that I ever saw her smoke.
Soon after that, it was time for us to move up to here, and well, the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment