Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Disadvantaged Roots

There is this quote from one of my most favorite movies about the south that goes something like this...


"What is it with you southern women, you can't make the right decision until you've made all the wrong ones?"


Hi, I'm Mere, have we met?

When I graduated high school and first stepped on campus at GCSU, I was prepared to take on the world. I was a double major in Poli Sci and CJ with ambitions to become a vicious prosecutor.


After working for an attorney starting my freshman year and up to the time that I finally left Milledgeville, that all changed. I dropped Political Science and decided that court reporting or being a paralegal was the life for me. My friend Mike use to call me Erin Brockovich. Particularly after seeing the movie for the first time.


While I was dating the doc, I decided that all I wanted to do was be a homemaker. Raise rugrats and clean house all day, just like his mother had done. (I think I'm gonna be sick)


I then decided that, after having moved and broken up with said doc, that I decided that I needed to get my paralegal degree. Kind of backwards, I know, but it is ABA approved and thought it was worth the time.


Then I decided that HR was the place for me. I have always been good at telling people what to do, why not make a career out of it? I was going to go for my masters and give up all the time invested at ATC. I felt terrible about it, and I was sickened by the idea of so much wasted time. I cannot stand wasting time (you should know this by now).


It wasn't until later, after working for other attorneys (particularly ones that didn't hate all aspects of their life) that I learned that being an attorney is not such a death sentence. Although my friend Andy would disagree and wishes that he had saved the money spent on law school for his tombstone, because he said that is right where he is headed.


Moving on, so now, after having seen two people take the LSAT, and successfully get accepted to law school (one person who actually copied off of me in paralegal school) my thought was "I can actually do this." When expressing my concerns for sitting there and my test anxiety, my mother said, "Don't be surprised if you do a lot better than you expect."


She is right. I have always been underestimating myself. Why settle when I know that I can do better? Just because I was scared? Well, that's stupid.


I was so lazy in college and only skimmed by my teeth. I actually wouldn't study for a test or write a paper until the day of. I would get great grades on those, but it was the lack of my daily participation and smaller assignments that brought me down.


Look at me now. I'm complaining that I have a 3.9. Its amazing what you can do when you actually apply yourself.


So, getting back to the quote, after having gone through eight years of mess, I might have things figured out. Furthermore, whoever said that college is suppose to be the defining years of your life, you are wrong sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment