Monday, July 26, 2010

Good Old Fashion Heart-to-Heart


I went to visit my parents Saturday night and got there a little late. My mom had gone up to bed after I arrived so, I decided that I would visit with my dad for a minute before retiring myself.

I went into his office, felt bad to interrupting his work, but I sat down and just starting shooting the breeze with him. We have always had a pretty good relationship. Well, now we do. When I was in high school, I was the typical "my parents just don't understand me, I know better than they do" teenager. Needless to say, we bumped heads a lot.

However, now we can talk for hours on end and we only get one another's nerves once in a while. Usually involving computers (they are completely technologically impaired, but they don't think they are).

Anyway, he started telling me how proud he was of me and what all I have accomplished the last few months. He said that I was back to his Mere again. "You've got lots of irons in the fire again and you've got that spirit back. I don't know where you went in college, but I am glad that you are back. You are finally out of your slump and I love it."

How is it that parents know exactly what to say to make you cry, but then they feel bad when they do? Geez.

After we talked, I went off to bed. The next morning, I got up, woke my little brother up to see if he still wanted to go for a run with me. "No, get out, let me sleep." Big shocker there the little grump. I grabbed my phone and plugged my headphones in and I was off.
It had been so long since I had ran or walked that path. I remember how much I hated it when I had to walk home and carrying my sax with me. It use to seem like the longest mile in my life.

This time, it wasn't so bad. I was reminiscing about how much things have changed since I use to live there. So many houses gone, and in their place giant cracker jack box subdivisions. I looked at one house and remembered that I dated the guy who use to live there. We would break up, get back together, then break up again. It was crazy. This one subdivision use to be the property of another bf, my first actually. He was my best friend growing up. I haven't seen him since his freshman year of college actually and I have no idea where or what he is doing these days. Sad.

Then I made it to my old middle school. I remember all those days that I would stand outside waiting for my sister, brother or parents to pick me up. Adam was usually late being the socialite that he was in high school. Then I remembered when it was my turn to drop Kevin off there when I was in high school, I was usually late picking him up too. I learned how to drive in that parking lot. My uncle would get cones and make me parallel park between them. My mother would take me around the back and get me to drive in between the lamp posts.

Next to it, the large hill that leads up to the baseball fields. I remember having to run up and down that hill and around the fields for swim dry land practice. My coach would have to get on to me for not being fast enough and would make me do extra laps. Probably didn't help that he went to high school with my sister and aunt. I guess he expected more out of me.

Then I made it up to my old high school. There were some great years there. Although, I did have my fair share of bad ones too. They had added some new additions to it since I graduated. They look terrible, sorry, but they really do. I came around to the front of the building and looked at the field that I would practice on for marching band. I remember how lucky we all thought we were to be able to march on the grass instead of the parking lot. Ha, the parking lot was better. That field had holes that were invisible until you stepped right into them. Lots of twisted ankles. Thanks band director, let's do that again. It was also further away from the band room, so we had to carry out instruments, ladders, platforms and everything else under the sun further and through more doors that needed the middle door jam removed and replaced each time we did it.

Then it was time to turn around and head back home. On the way back, I started thinking about what all my dad had said to me the night before. Where did I go in college? When did I slow down and just loose myself? I did agree with him though. Although a bit more mature, I am back to that same ambitious kid that left those doors for the stadium and graduation. I remembered how much I planned to do when I walked out of those doors for the last time. When I cranked my car and drove out of the student parking lot, for good.

Its amazing how many curve balls are thrown at you along the way, and I have struck out a few times, but now, I've dusted off and I am ready for more. I will no longer occupy a bench in the dugout, its my time to shine. Look out pitcher, I'm coming for ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment