Friday, July 23, 2010

Generation Difference

Today we had a person come in for deposing. Well, with her she brought her three children. She asked me where they could hide out until they were finished. I told her that they could just stay in the lobby and I got them drinks and they plugged in their electronic handheld games. They were pretty still and quiet, for a minute.

Soon, they started getting out their action figures and were playing with them in all the potted plants. When the receptionist left for class, they immediately took over his desk ledge. They started jumping around, I had to stop one from trying to go down the stairs. One almost ran straight into my boss's office. Geez, kids, where did you come from? Where were you raised?

Then, I looked over and noticed that there was only two of them. Where did the third go? He was going down the hall towards the conference room. It was like one of those slow motion sequences from a movie. "Nooooooooo." He had his hand on the doorknob and sure enough, he opened it.

Jacki and I both called down to him and told him to come back and that they needed to be left alone. What would I have done without her? I called her up to help because I simply do not do kids. Well, except for my nephews, but that's always different.

What do you do? You can't discipline someone else's children. You can't tell them to sit back down and don't move. Then they will complain to their parent and then a whole other can of worms is opened.

I started thinking about when I was a kid and had to accompany my parents for work or a meeting. I wouldn't dare think about moving from where my parents put me. I would sit still and play with whatever was given to me to or read whatever I had to read.

Granted there were a few times that we did some things after hours. Like ride the conveyor belt or ride the clothes elevator a few times, but that was all. (Haha, that's right Adam, I told on you. He rode the conveyor up and back down at Arrowhead. Busted). And if we broke it, we had to deal with our parents, that was it. We didn't go to someone else's office and play with things.

Perhaps I am being a little too over the top here, but it really gets me when people don't raise their kids? So many times I see kids going into stores with their parents without their hair combed and mismatching clothes. They all look like unmade beds. When did people stop caring. If you didn't want the responsibility of having children, then you should have thought twice before having them.

No comments:

Post a Comment