Thursday, July 22, 2010

Roofing material


When we were kids, my dad often would give my brothers this talk. Shortly before my older brother left for the military, they covered our back porch. It was the middle of July, and blazing hot, like Georgia always is.

After building the supports and roof, it was time to cover it. One by one, my brothers and dad would carry packs of shingles up the ladder and onto the roof. One by one they nailed the shingles down, black no less, and endured the heat until the job was done.

Well, of course a parent can't pass up this opportunity to give a life lesson. He told my brothers that life and dating were like covering that roof. While you are climbing the ladder in life, and getting to where you need to be, you don't need to carry anyone with you. They will only slow you down and wear you out. Instead, climb that ladder, do what you need to do to make it to the top, and then look around and see what is already up there.

I know that this talk was for the boys, but I am just as ambitious as they are, so why can't the same go for me? I have carried my share fair of shingles, and I have been slowed down in the past before. Originally, if you care to recall, I wasn't going to do anything after college except for marry Virlyn and have children. Oops. Good thing that didn't pan out huh?

Now that I have finally gotten my path cleared away and ready to start the climb, I am not going to carry anything on my back. No sir, I am waiting for the top.

So, Sarah S., when we go out, don't be discouraged when I tell you that I am not ready to start a relationship with someone new. The fact of the matter is that I don't have time to get to know someone new nor give them the time needed to spend with them and build a relationship. I simply have too much on my plate.

Remember the Mere jelly from college? Well its back, I just don't want to spread it so thin like last time. Remember how exhausted I was all the time, every weekend was dedicated to some meeting or dedication or memorial service. Every week there was a test and work and group gatherings with friends.

I still want to hang out and enjoy my friendships that I already have, just can't really spare the time to make new ones. It kind of goes along with a previous post from earlier this year. No more tangents. Its only four more years until I am where I want to be. Don't worry my friends. I will be fine. I'm just being a little selfish for once. Isn't it about time?

No comments:

Post a Comment